|One of the 2013 recipients graciously wrote a letter to the St. Mary’s Community, expressing how far a simple act of kindness really does go.
Click here to read that letter.
Current News & Updates
Meetings are held on the third Thursday of the month at 2PM. All are welcome.
April 2019 Easter Basket Assembly
April 2015 Anointing of the Sick Mass
Social Concerns Ministry
Social Concerns Ministry was begun in 2008 with the primary goal of helping needy families in the area to better enjoy the holidays. Through the generosity of the parishioners, 30 families were served the first year. The number has grown to 85 recently, with an ultimate objective of 100 families.
Families are selected through the advice of the Guidance Counselors of Dartmouth and New Bedford Public Schools for a period of one-year. Representatives of SCM receive the names and contact information from the schools. They then call the families to reconfirm the details. Choosing the families is done by the counselors according to the need that they see from their interaction with children and parents at that time. It is the mission of SCM to give a year of hope to families in need.
Our program covers the three major holidays, Thanksgiving (full turkey dinner and additional grocery staples), Christmas (grocery gift card for Christmas dinner, gifts for children 16 and under) and Easter (Easter dinner and baskets for children 2 to 15 years). In addition to the holiday projects, the Ministry sponsored the diaper collection in the fall that resulted in 2500 diapers being collected; sorted and delivered 20 boxes of food for the Dartmouth Council on Aging; participated in the semi-annual Anointing
Mass for the disabled and shut-ins of St. Mary’s Parish.
For Christmas 2013, SCM provided $20.00 grocery gift cards for 65 families and gifts for 165 children of those families. Each child received a warm sweater or shirt, jeans or pants of some description and a toy, book or game that were purchased and donated by
the parishioners. All gifts were wrapped and delivered to the families.
Future plans include sponsoring some of these children of our same families for a week of summer camp at Fort Tabor in New Bedford. This would round out our year of service. New families will be chosen in the fall. We are always looking for projects to
expand our mission.
If you are in need of assistance, please contact the church office at 508-992-7163.
If you would like to join the Social Concerns Ministry please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, phone number or email and a member will contact you.
“Christianity through fellowship”
Meeting Dates and News (2017 – 2018)
- Thursday, November 16 at 2 pm
- Thursday, December 14 at 2 pm
- Thursday, January 18 at 2 pm
- Thursday, February 15 at 2 pm
- Thursday, March 15 at 2 pm
- Thursday, April 26 at 2 pm
- Thursday, May 17 at 2 pm
Calendar of Events
- Thursday, November 9 at 1 pm – Food Sorting at the Church Basement for Thanksgiving Baskets
- Sunday, November 12 – Food donation deadline
- Monday, November 13 at 10 am – Food Sorting at the Church Basement for Thanksgiving Baskets
- Thursday, November 16 at 1 pm – Christmas Tag Preparation / Assembly at the Parish Center
- Thursday, November 16 at 6pm – Thanksgiving Basket Assembly at the Church Basement
- Saturday, November 18 at 7:30 am – Thanksgiving food delivery to families
- Monday, December 4 at 10 am – Gift donation sorting
- Monday, December 11 at 10 am – Gift donation deadline
- Thursday, December 16 at 7:30am Christmas gift delivery to families
Please email email@example.com if you would like to volunteer with the Social Concerns Ministry.